VeRbOsE

"There are things that matter, and there are things that don't."

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Food For Thought 2: 8/6/2015 Short Story Intro.

Short Story Introduction for your Entertainment instead of hearing me rant! Property of Katie L. Wendt. A friend of mine is hoping to publish soon, so maybe I'll share something from her! For now, you'll just have to stick with me! Thoughts, hate mail, and edits appreciated! ;)

Preface:
I never meant to hurt anyone, but I guess that doesn't matter when someone still ends up hurt.

...

Rain pounded against my skin. Hard, icy drops pelted like beads causing bruises and sores to appear over my hands and any other exposed skin. I sat, huddled against a brick building for hours. Only a few souls passed by me. Another thunderclap roared through the darkness and I shrank back against the wall behind me pulling my legs tighter to my chest. It did not seem that the storm would be letting up anytime soon. I stood, preparing to run across the street for more cover when lightning illuminated the muddy lane in front of me. I think a scream came forth from my lips but you would not have heard it against the raging weather. 1…2…3… I held my breath and slid through the slippery, filth on the ground to the underside of the bridge that led out of town. The river tides were getting higher, but at least there was shelter for my head. I looked up and as a drop that had slid against the wood of the bridge fell onto my nose. Mostly sheltered anyway.
Footsteps rushing across the bridge above my head broke the silence. I pressed myself back against the wall as far as I could and held my breath again. My dark hair was now horribly matted against my neck, and my dress was torn to be unrecognizable. If I could just get up the banks, I just needed to reach the edge of the forest. I let out a breath of relief when I heard the footsteps die down. I waited a few more moments, and all remained quiet. I waded through the polluted waters of the river and looked up at the bank before me. It was upwards of twelve feet before me. I reached above me and fisted the earth in my hands, digging my bare feet into the mud as well. The rain washed the dirt from my face, clearing my vision.
I finally hauled my limber body over the edge of the bank, heaving my breath. I waited not a moment longer to crawl under the cover of the brush the hedged the forest boundaries. More men ran across the bridge shuffling past me quickly.
“This way!”
I closed my eyes and held my breath. When the coast was clear again I stood, too soon. A soldier approached me and held a torch to my face. I winced and turned away from the light.
“You’re the one everyone’s looking for aren’t you?” I bit my lip. I would say nothing, “I’m not going to harm you,” he spoke softly. I wanted to take a step back but feared I would slip back down the bank, and I was lacking the energy to climb back up again.
“Find anything back there?” one of the men called from up ahead. I looked desperately at the man in front of me, pleading with my eyes. He stared at me,
“No, nothing here,” he then nodded to me and continued along the path the other men had gone. I watched him move before turning and scampering home.
“Miranda!” my mother cried as I swung the door open that night. She stood from the table, heading towards me when my father bellowed at her from the other end of the table,

“Sit down Elisabeth,” mother looked at my face with compassion before returning to the table. My father stood, wiping his mouth first with a napkin. He stared into my eyes and I stared back into his. He did not frighten me. Our conversation remained unknown to the others in the room and he nodded off in the direction of my bedroom. I trod into my room and closed the door behind me.

3 comments:

  1. Where's the like button in here? This is really interesting and really draws the reader in! Meaning: let me read more. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh LeChelle! You can, "like" it by sharing it on Facebook or following the posts via e-mail on the link to your computer screens right towards the top! :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great writing, Kate. It has wonderful characterization and the descriptions are startlingly realistic. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete