VeRbOsE

"There are things that matter, and there are things that don't."

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Candid-illy-icious

I realize that my blog aka my outlet for my own comic relief and sanity, is relatively new, under-read compared to great works of literature, and I love it. It's like my own little project that I get the fulfillment of working on and seeing progress each time I add to it. Today, it's in a, "confessions" style that I wish to address you, dear readers. As I mentioned in my first entry, I have recently returned from a most amazing adventure of serving a mission for the LDS church. Yes, I'm a Mormon. It was hands down the best decision I've ever made. No matter which way you stretch it, it taught me so much about myself, people, spirituality, life, and exactly how pivotal each of our existences on this earth are. But as I returned on cloud 9, I found myself trying to fit....not fit... squeeze myself back into life. I live in the mid-atlantic which is a relatively fast paced area of this blessed land and I felt daily as though I was experiencing whiplash at the rate of speed peoples lives moved here. Many people tried to help me settle in but nothing really prepared me or assisted in my adjustment like coming to the realization that hit me last night!

Yesterday I had one of those wonderful, golden-nugget moments. The ah-ha moment, light bulbs went on, and maybe you can identify with that radiant feeling of pure knowledge being explained to your soul. As I laid in bed pondering life as I do sometimes, I tossed a few goldfish into my mouth and crunched down feeling so glad that nobody could see me... I paused. Wait a second, why did I care if someone saw me munching goldfish at 2:30am? I pondered a moment longer and realized that I didn't really care. I started laughing and smiling and felt all tingly inside realizing that I didn't care and that I didn't need to be trying to squeeze into a mold of who people wanted me to be-- or probably more accurately, who I was perceiving people wanted me to be.

I continued on this thought process considering all of the things that helped thread me together that might not be "the norm" or what people expected of me and I realized that these were some of the things that made me happy and decided to frankly forgive myself for trying to hide for so long and began typing on my trusty iPhone, Serendipity, a list of quirky items that make up the candid-illy-icious version of me.

To start, yep, I named my iPhone. It's a she and her name is Serendipity. Serendipity is my favorite word and I just love words in general. Not weird words, the uncommon, underused and valued words in the english language that 99.9% of people have never heard of or understand. Secretly sipping out of Starbucks cups make me feel super cool. I'm not a city girl. I don't even drink coffee... but having that starbucks container in my hand adds a pretend drop of confidence into my sass vial. On my adorable iPhone I keep a list of baby names that I love. Yep. I've already spent time thinking about what I want to name my children. Nope. Not dating anyone.

I go through phases where I change my nail polish color 50,000x and then when I don't wear any for months. I LOVE perfume and smelling good. Don't worry, I haven't choked anyone with my scents yet. I'm not a girly girl, I'm not a tomboy I'm just me! There's not a stereotype I fit under. I don't situate myself within parameters society tries to set for me. I love getting down and dirty with the best of 'em on an ATV or rockwall, but putting on a pair of heels for a night out is one of my favorite things too. Dress up. Dress down. Dress me!

Yes, boys, I am one of those girls that has a Pinterest and will find around 10,000 things I may never get around to doing, but I promise I make good use of the recipes that I pin. I put in a solid effort to apply when I spend time pinning and I have this crazy love-hate relationship with D.I.Y. things. Let's be honest, girls, every Pinterest project looks doable until you really sit down to do it and then it hits you... And you all know what I'm talking about! The, "Oh shoot, this is going to take a heck of a lot longer than I thought... how far away is Christmas...?"

I have the weirdest issue with dairy and lunchmeat. When you look at it you see the expiration date on milk, I see the date that I won't touch within a 2 day radius of. I'm even less forgiving with the poor sliced meats. After 6 days it doesn't matter where it came from, how good it was, or what the "sell by" date is. I'm done.

I hate getting my teeth cleaned at the dentist. Getting sand in my ears is the worst as much as I love the beach. Board games are, secretly, my favorite. I love being domestic in the kitchen, but would prefer to leave the laundry undone. If I take a good picture of myself, heck yes you better believe I'm going to post it. I LOVE snapchat. I think it's sad some of the ways it's used... but generally, I love that it adds to the general smiles that come to my face on a daily basis. If I'm reading a book you should probably leave me alone because I'm not retaining anything you're saying and I'm only talking to you so you'll stop bothering me and I can get back to my book. I have music on almost all the time. I'm on the phone, oh excuse me person I'm speaking to, I'm probably humming something. Small bathroom problems are no match for my desire to have jams playing while I shower. Studying, journaling, blogging; it's in the background speaking to my soul.

We are all so different. I can't pretend that I begin to understand anything. But I do think I'm beginning to get a grasp on how much I love being Kate. It's pretty bomb being me.
Etymology  Logos is Greek for "word", lepsy is Greek, "to seize"  Noun  logolepsy (plural logolepsies)  (rare) A fascination or obsession with words. I have this... :)

Ever Sincerely!
Kate

(don't own the photo. Obtained from: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/174303448053619229/)

No comments:

Post a Comment